Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Boeing and metrcication question

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:24:55 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
wrote:

Again... why would we in the US convert all our technology into metrics

so
the rest of the world will have it easier in copying it?

That's what makes my blood boil. To think that Pelosi or the queen will
force us into metrication by dictum. It's been tried and tried and tried.
But those of us who believe in American supremacy will not bend. Thank

God!

Oh, come on. Do you think anyone with the smarts to take advantage of
US technological advances will be discouraged if they have to multiply
by 25.4?

I work in both systems every day designing factory automation and
tooling. Most of the products I deal with are competing globally and
are specified in metric units. The equipment I build is designed, for
the most part, in US customary units. My CAD system deals seamlessly
with mixed units, my machines have DROs, and though I have a better
intuitive feel for a half-thou than 10 microns, working in metric
doesn't slow me down. I bet there are folks overseas every bit as
clever as me - in fact I've even met a few.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm with you Ned, I can convert at will and it does not bother me. But my
question has yet to be answered by anybody in this long and interesting
thread.

Has Boeing gone metric? Not only in machined details, but basic design
critera as to load, power, thrust, weight, HP requirements, fuel
consumption, etc. For example... are hydraulic systems now labeled in
Newtons or still in lbs/sq/in?

Because nobody in the US, nor repair centers around the world know what the
heck a Newton is on a machine label. They sure understand HP and PSI.

Wayne