Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Electrical (gen-set) question

Bill Marrs wrote:
If a person had two small 110VAC generators. Ganged the commons and fed one
generator into each leg of a 220VAC single phase circuit, would it work?
I'm
thinking 220v well pump, small transformer type welder, clothes dryer etc.

If it would work, would the two gen-sets need to be the same size?

There is probably some simple reason why this is a really bad idea, but I
don't have
enough electrical background to see it.

Thanks,

Bill

First, it's good to think outside of the box. But not always.

I'd think you'd run into significant trouble in trying to get both
generators to be in phase with each other. I'd hazard if they aren't,
the one leading in phase will be feeding the other.