Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,alt.building.construction
Lacustral Lacustral is offline

Default Quietest inline fan for range hood exhaust

-zero ) wrote:

This is nice and quiet, and IMO, better quality then the others
you'd mentioned.

http://us.exhausto.com/files/pdf/Brochures/3921002.pdf

Their fans seem mostly too big, I need something about 300 CFM. But I
could check out the smallest pizza oven fan. I need something inline
though, that's meant to be inline in the ductwork, I'm not sure if their
fans are inline fans.

What I'm looking for is an inline fan that's engineered to be quiet. You
can have fans pulling a lot of CFM that are quiet. The motor has low RPM,
so that cuts down on motor noise.

Broan says their inline blower has a "low RPM" and is quiet. But they
didn't know what the max RPM is, though the technical support person said she'd
try to find out.

The whole arrangement, having a range hood fan inline in the ductwork in
the attic, is something you can buy as a high-quality range hood. Some of
Broan's range hoods can be used with an external blower. The Broan blower ILB3
is what I was looking at. I know this arrangement isn't contrary to
code. All the code says about kitchen exhaust so far as I know is that
it has to be rigid metal ductwork and a backdraft damper. Yes, I would
put a filter in it. You can buy custom size filters for range hoods
online.

I eat a very lowfat diet and don't use grease for cooking myself, but I
do want to allow for the possibility that someone else might use the
arrangement for cooking with grease. My ceiling over the stove hasn't
gotten dirty, even without a range hood.

Laura

"Lacustral" wrote in message

- about 300 CFM max
- can be speed controlled about all the way to 0.
- doesn't make a hum or whatever when speed controlled.
- Absolutely as quiet as possible.

I've heard that if you compare a small fan with a large fan that's turned
down with a speed control to move the same CFM as the small fan, the large
fan will be quieter.

So, I figure I'd get about a 300 CFM fan and turn it down with a speed
control. Somebody at Broan told me their
fan doesn't have a low-voltage hum when speed controlled. I don't know
how big
of a deal the low-voltage hum is, compared to the noise from the fan
motor.

I know stuff about reducing the noise that's moving through the duct -
duct silencer, liquid soundproofing you can spray inside the duct. Etc.
etc. My question though is about the quietest *fan*.