Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default So what about VOIP and 911 service....

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 05:42:47 -0700, wrote:

On Sep 16, 4:42 pm, " wrote:
I have FIOS. the ONT which convers the optical cable to standard DSL
like is outside on side of house.

The power supply is in the basement with a built in UPS that only
keeps the phone service working but you can plug this unit into a
larger UPS if you want, Doing so will keep the internet part working
too during a outage.

Do you have any experience with how long the FIOS battery backup
lasts? Verizon says it lasts "up to 8 hours". But it's unclear if
that means 8 hours without any phone calls, with some phone calls, or
8 hours of talk time. I'm guessing it probably means 8 hours with
very little use.

That makes sense, because if it lasted for 8 hours of talking, they'd
probably say it lasted up to 24 hours.

Somewhat similar is that in the last 30 years almost everyone has
started saying that if something goes from 100 to 400 that it is 4
times greater, when it is only 3 times greater and 4 times as great.

I have mixed feeling about FIOS the internet part works awesome
HOWEVER the phone side is much less reliable than copper and worse the
reps really dont care. We had SEVERE troubles and it took over a month
to get it fixed, the last 2 weeks I called daily and the trouble
effected the entire central office.

I will likely go VOIP it cant be any worse