Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam Calvin Henry-Cotnam is offline

Default CFL in Fridge

Yroc Morf ) said...

Anyone know if it is safe to use a CFL in the fridge?

I tried at 9w one out and it seems to work fine.

The turn-on delay is the biggest issue with a lamp intended to be used
for a short period. No CFL that I have found comes on initially at full
brightness, often taking a full minute to get up to maximum. Many start
up quickly, but a number of them take one to two seconds before you get
any light.

There are LED bulbs now on the market and I suspect that we will see
more of that technology available as an alternative. LEDs have a rapid
rise time for their brightness - in fact they come on faster than
incandescent bulbs (not something you would notice, but if you were
driving 60 mph behind a vehicle with LED brake lights, you would travel
about five yards in the extra time that incandescent lamps take to come
to full brightness).

I am however worried that the bulb (mercury) might cause problems with
food.

How often do you break the bulb in a fidge?

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"