Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Brake for small windmill?

Simple disk. Simple magnet holders under the disk, out of sight.

My two bits worth, anyways.

If complicated works, a bit, anyway, I would look at gearing up the
output shaft with a couple sets of bicycle gearing/chains, and having
the brake at the end of the train of gearing to do its thing with a
geared advantage. Salvaged bike parts are cheap to aquire.

Or a generator with a variable load, rpm dependant.

Or running the LEDS planted up the blades.

Or...:-)

Just ideas.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Thanks, good ideas.

What do you think about aluminum-rimmed bicycle wheels? Big diameter
should be good?

For maximum effect, does the magnetic pathway need to be "through" the disc?
That is, with a horseshoe magnet over the edge, or 2 linked magnets?

A single magnet would be simpler. In that case, would both poles need to
be near the disc? Or just one, the other end remote from the disc?

Sorry to pester, but I haven't been able to find details by web-searching.