Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

JR North wrote:
My experience is the TIG arc stops down the lens to where I can't see
anything but the arc. Don't have this prob with SMAW. Solved the problem
with the floodlight. It doesn't trigger the lens by itself, unless I
look right at it. I suppose there is a considerable difference in lens
performance though.

I have an auto-dark lens with a variable setting, and I put it
at about 9 for light TIG work. If I do move such that the arc
is directly visible, it is bright and distracting, but not so
bright as to be really uncomfortable on the eyes. But, when I
shade the arc with the cup so I can't see it, then the surface
of the work gets much more visible. I have seen a gadget that
is a dark plate that clips onto the torch, made for this
purpose. It is like 1/2 of a standard filter plate, so maybe 2
x 4". I suspect TIG welders used it for the same purpose,
expecially before auto-dark lenses.

Jon