Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Schlaifer Steve Schlaifer is offline

Default sheet metal forming pressures

I am interested in forming some shallow rectangular bowls from 0.040"
copper. Bowls would be about 1/2" deep and 6" square. I need a press
of some sort to do this, one possibility would be a fly press but I
don't know how big a press I'm going to need. Does anybody have a
formula for the press force needed for forming this sort of thing. Note
that I don't need to cut the copper, that will be done in a separate
operation using a plasma torch, I just need to press them into a
rectangular bowl shape. Thanks for any help you can give.

--
--Steve

"It must not be forgotten that it is especially dangerous
to enslave men in the minor details of life." Alexis de Tocqueville