Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Boeing and metrcication question

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:03:23 -0700, the renowned Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Sep 15, 4:03 pm, Mark Rand wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:19:06 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"

wrote:

If asked why I'm interested... I just can't see Boeing shifting to the SI
system when they lead the world in technology using ft, lbs, thrust, Mach
speed, known strengths of material in thousands of pounds per square inch,
BTU required for the thrust, drag, gravity, air pressure in the tires in
lbs/sq/in, and everything they have been designing since that first biplane
that flew the mail from San Fran to Alaska to keep up with the steamships
mail delivery, and later the famous Boeing School of Aeronautics in Oakland
where virtually every world-class aeronautical enterprise used to leverage
themselves into leadership roles.

Why would there be a reason for them to go through their whole history and
library of data from endless successes and failures in order to meet the
world myopic desire to metricate?

What makes you think that they do (lead the world, that is)?

Mark Rand
RTFM- Hide quoted text -

What system does China use?

That will be the future.

TMT

Metric, which is fine with me, but also first-angle orthographic
projection (as opposed to North American 3rd angle projection), which
I really don't like.

They also will happily make stuff with Imperial fasteners, NPT
fittings etc. if export markets demand it and pay enough for it to be
worthwhile.

This seems like a non-issue to me. Any modern 3D modelling system
works in internal units than can be switched to whichever system you
like (including dual units) without changing the underlying model. I
am designing some systems for aircraft, and we use a mix of mm and
inches, usually kg for mass, usually Imperial fasteners (because
they're cheaper and more available), but it's not really much of an
issue in this corner of the real world. Getting used to GD&T seems
like more of a hassle.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany