Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.fan.cecil-adams
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 16, 4:16 am, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 15, 8:36 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Automotive fuses...

Today's mail brought me a Safety Recall notice from Harbor Freight
telling me to stop using, remove any in use, and return the 120 piece
Mini-Blade Automotive Fuse Assortment I'd tacked onto an order I
placed
with them a few months ago, because getting 120 fuses for $4.99 seemed
like a good deal. (TOO good a deal I guess...)

They're paying the postage, will refund $4.99 and gave me a "$5.00 Off
coupon" good till next February.

The recall notice includes this explanation:

"Specifically, manufacturing inconsistencies max exiat with the
materials, connections or size of the fuse elements which could result
in the fuses failing to protect the circuit from exessive current
which
could cause damage to a vehicle and possibly a fire."

What's next folks?

The fuse issue isn't as funny as the "Stove Bolt Assortment" I bought
from Harbor Freight several years ago and stuck on the shelf. When I
finally wanted to use eight matching fasteners rather than the onsies
and twosies I can get from my "hell box" I went to that assortment,
only
to find that all the 10-24 nuts in it had missed the threading
operation
and had smooth bore holes in them.

Just for ****s and grins I wrote a letter to HF and taped a couple of
the unthreaded nuts to it. I described the problem and explained that
assumed the threads were on backorder and asked when they expected to
ship them to me. I wasn't sure what that would get me, but figured
someone might get a laugh out of it and maybe send me another box of
fasteners.

Unfortunatly, my letter was answered by some ditzy woman with no sense
of humor because I all I got was a letter from her saying my complaint
exceeded their allowable time limit for returns and there was nothing
they could do about it now.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Sounds like my Chinese kitchen faucet that lasted all of 3 days.

I hear they are planning on importing a $9000 car to the US, the
Cheri, those fuses should work in those.

China can make things real cheap and fast, but they dont believe in QA
departments.

Don't believe it for a minute! The Chinese produce to spec. as good as
anybody, blame the spec. guys and the purchasing customer for not
specifying
any QC, that costs extra.- Hide quoted text -

Remember "buyer beware"?

It is the responsibility of the American companies selling you
anything to make sure that it is as represented....and they are not
doing that so they can pass the buck on to the CEO bonus.

Sit back and watch the toy companies...they are going to be used as a
lesson for the rest of Corporate America as to what happens when you
cut corners to make the CEO bonus larger.

TMT

Do CEOs make too much? Why is that? Could it be that they are hired to do
a job and that's what the job is worth? Why do you resent high-paying jobs?