Default Torbeck valve noisy at shutoff - sometimes

Dave Liquorice wrote:

: But will that have a different effect to partially closing the
: service valve ?

: Donno try it. Easy enough to do...

I tried it, and the flow rate was very low. There was no evidence
that the result was any different from turning down the service valve.
I *could* have tried cutting the restrictor in half, but by then I
was losing the will to live....

So I have replaced the Torbeck with a Fluidmaster. I know that is not
without its share of problems, but it seems to have entirely solved
the banging. It is slightly more noisy when filling (largely because
of all the air bubbles) but I am very happy with it so far.

It was more difficult to fit than the Torbeck. Despite appearing to
need an identical installation, it lacks the internal 'seat' for the
service valve connector to seal against. I had to fabricate a washer
from an old grommet to make it watertight.

Thanks to those people who suggested various 'plumbing' solutions such
as adding a hammer arrestor or air spring, but my DIY skills are not
up to that level of complexity !

Richard
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to 'news2'