Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BobH BobH is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

dav1936531 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 01:33:57 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

I still have to get the hang of aluminum, but I have actually
made a couple servicable, but truly UGLY welds! I need to keep
trying.
Jon

The aluminum base metal must be pefectly cleaned and degreased before
welding, otherwise you will get a mess. Tricloroethylene (sp?) is the
best solvent for cleaning it before welding, but this is pretty nasty
stuff. Avoid skin contact and breathing it.
Dave

I use a wet lacquer thinner wipedown to degrease aluminum and then use a
stainless steel wire brush for mechanical cleaning. The best results
were gotten using a rotary wire brush in a cordless drill. The cordless
drill I was using had lots of low speed torque so it would crank the
brush pretty well but not be running so fast as to be uncontrollable.
Unfortunately the garage sale cordless drill died and I have not wanted
to spend real money to buy a new one for a single purpose.

Bob