Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default The devil made me do it

According to Ted Samuels :
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ted Samuels wrote:

[ ... ]

Look at the windings. I have seen them so oxidized that the brush
couldn't make contact.

That would have simply made the thing unable to deliver current
to the load -- no chance for that making it pop fuses or circuit
breakers.

I think I figured out the problem. The actual wording on the front of the Variac is
"350 CYCLES Min" I took it to mean "350 CYCLES Minute" but what it probably
means is
350 CYCLES Minimum.

O.K. Then it is most likely a 400 Hz one, which is what I
thought. There, there is not sufficient iron, so 60 Hz saturates it and
draws a ton of current.

In either case it's just not suitable for 60 Hz.

Agreed. Nice to have around aircraft power systems, however.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564