Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Incredible safety-saw

We have one in the proto shop. I tried to cut some aluminum honeycomb
stock without disabling the sensor. It's right impressive when it stops
things. There is a heavy spring that jams a piece of aluminum into the
blade. The stop block has a series of holes in it so that it will both
compress slightly and deform quite a bit to absorb the rotational energy.

The lab manager took the blade and the newly mangled stop block, made a
wall clock out of it for the lab wall. Just a reminder to all concerned.

Don't do it very often, IIRC the bill for new parts was about $120 or so.

Nick Mueller wrote:
Hi!

Got a link to this **unbelievable** safety-saw. It immediately stops when
you start to cut your finger. Just a little scratch! 8-O

Here's a video: http://www.rofl.to/new-safety-saw

And here the manufacturer: http://www.sawstop.com/

Now, the most important question: Does it saw brass or alumin(i)um too? G

Nick