Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

My experience is the TIG arc stops down the lens to where I can't see
anything but the arc. Don't have this prob with SMAW. Solved the problem
with the floodlight. It doesn't trigger the lens by itself, unless I
look right at it. I suppose there is a considerable difference in lens
performance though.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Jon Elson wrote:
JR North wrote:

11) Also, a fairly bright halogen light to illuminate the work. Tig
doesn't make much light, and the hardest problem I have is actually
seeing the operation.

Huh? I have to keep the cup of the torch in the way of the arc or it
blinds me and I can't see ANYTHING but that bright dot! But, if I shield
my eyes from the direct arc, then it lights up the work like a
floodlight. This allows me to run with the helmet filter set about one
notch lighter, and I can really see the surface of the aluminum, and
tell when it is developing a puddle. You don't have to see really well,
to weld steel, the glowing puddle tells you a lot. But, for aluminum,
you have to really be able to see the surface to know how hot you are
getting it.

If I have bright lights on the work, then it fools my cheap helmet and
everything goes black.

Jon

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"