Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Can I drain my pool?

on 9/15/2007 7:58 PM MiamiCuse said the following:
I have an inground pool in Miami, FL, water table I think is 3 to 4 feet
below grade, the pool is 7 feet deep.

I was told that if I drain the pool it would crack.

However, I need to get it replastered, and now, I am doing major renovation
on the house, and will not be using the pool for another 4 months. I would
prefer to not have to buy chlorine, shock, acid, PH, and run the pump and
filter for 8 hours a day for no reason for 4 months.

Can I drain the pool and leave it dry in the mean time?

I think there is a valve at the bottom of the pool for pressure release, but
I am not sure...

Thanks in advance,

MC

Keep the water in the pool. Get a pool cover (or solar cover). Buy a
pool winterizing chemical kit (might be hard to find in Fla.). Add it to
the water. Install the pool cover. You can run the filter with the pool
cover on every few days, just to circulate the water.
The cover will prevent evaporation and keep the chemicals working
longer. Here in NY, our pool is covered about 8 -9 months a year. When
opening in the early summer, our water is is almost crystal clear and
only requires a little vacuuming and pool chemicals to make it suitable
for swimming within a couple of days (if you can take 50º temperature
water, that is).
Saves having to fill the pool again, and prevents any 'floating' of an
empty pool.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY