Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.fan.cecil-adams
Lee Ayrton Lee Ayrton is offline

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

Groups list noted.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Uncle Monster wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

On the other hand, there are some Chinese plants that are producing
world-class injection-molded parts, which means they're making world-class
injection molds. Those plants I've read about were managed by western or
Hong Kong-based management.

It appears to be a mixed bag, but the general level of quality is somewhat
less than we expect in the west.

When I was a kid, "Made In Japan" meant "cheap junk".
An American professor developed the science of quality
control, American companies blew him off, the Japanese
listened. Give the Chinese time, they're learning.

The Version That I Heard held that Japan in the 1950s was filling an
available market niche: Cheaply made goods. It wasn't that Japan didn't
have the talent to engineer and build quality goods (witness their war
production, particularly their aircraft and optics). Rather, they were
making what the world would buy. Even while they were making trinklets
and easily broken junk, Nikon was getting favorable notices in the New
York Times.

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/port...te_history.htm

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."