RichardS

Default gas fire leak test

"andy smith" wrote in message
snip

This is how I was taught to carry out a spillage test.

Close all doors and windows to the room containing the appliance. Let
the fire run on HIGH for five minutes. Take a smoke match, light it,
and using a smoke match tube, hold it at the top edge of the fire
opening, 25mm down and 25mm in. Starting 50mm in from either side,
run the smoke match across the opening. All the smoke should be
drawn away up the flue. Any smoke returning into the room indicates
that spillage is occurring. If the initial spillage test fails, run
the fire for a further 10 minutes and repeat the test. When the test
has been completed satisfactorily and no spillage occurs, then repeat
the test with any extractor fans in the premises running on the
highest setting, and any communicating doors open. Finally, repeat
with all doors open.

If spillage is still indicated after undertaking all of the above,
there may be a fault in the flue, or insufficient ventilation is
present. If the problem cannot be easily rectified, then expert
advice should be sought.

Thanks - I notice you use a smoke match tube... (online supplier?)
...I just stuck a match on
the end of a stick (fire was too hot to hold in hand)... would a proper
tube
regulate how the smoke was produced (my matches claim burn time of 20sec
but most smoke produced in first 10sec)....

Any thought on "spigot restrictor"?

I'll try again and if in doubt I'll get in Corgi...

Andy

You might well find it cheaper to go to an accredited Chimney Sweep if the
problem lies with the flue (which it sounds as if it does).

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson