Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Specs that are part English and part metric

Robert Roland wrote:

I have heard that the Italian model engine manufacturer Super Tigre
used to use bearings with metric outside diameter and imperial inside
diameter. I have never seen a bearing like that myself, though, so I
can't vouch for the accuracy of this.

My US-made ATK had a ball bearing in the swing arm that had an imperial OD
and a metric ID (or the other way round?). I fell off the bearing dealer's
chair when I went there (had no time to measure, so I took it there
directly; needed it anyhow) and he lifted his eye-browns more and more the
more he measured. That was a Tuesday. Friday night off for a race. No
chance to get that bearing!
Made some kind of funny boring bar that was driven by a hand drill and
berserked two bigger holes into the (**very** nicely TIG-welded!!!) frame
and made a new axle and bushings.

BTW, the bb's were made in China. Completely disintegrated in the middle of
the season.

"ATK: Crafted with pride in the USA." LOL!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de