Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Boeing and metrcication question

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

When it comes to measurement, the advantages of metrics are illusory.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, could you please explain the above so I can understand.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Sure. If you're doing a calculation involving, say, force, volume, and mass,
metrics usually (but not always) make your work easier. If you're measuring
the diameter of a crankshaft journal, metrics provide no advantage
whatsoever.

Most manufactured metal parts can be measured in inches; we don't get
involved with feet, yards, etc., and the rest of the red herrings that the
pro-metrics folks toss into the discussion. It's mostly inches and decimal
inches.

So the units don't matter. Mathematically, we handle them the same, whether
they're inch or metric. And most of the occasions we have in manufacturing
to use inch (or Imperial) units versus metric ones are cases of linear
measurement.

--
Ed Huntress