Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Boeing and metrcication question

Ed Huntress wrote:

That's an interesting story, Carl. I think a lot of pro-metrification folks
fail to separate the advantages metrics offer in scientific and some
engineering calculations from their complete *lack* of advantage in
measurement -- which is what we're talking about, in manufacturing. As soon
as someone starts talking about the conversion of odd, old units in the
traditional "Imperial" system, you realize they aren't talking about the
issue as it really exists. Where it matters, metrics are used in the US.
When it comes to measurement, the advantages of metrics are illusory.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed

I couldn't agree more. I've worked with both systems as a machinist in
the industry (it's been awhile back) and couldn't really see much
difference other than I was more comfortable with inches as that's what
I used the most. The one exception was really old prints that were
still in fractional inches but nobody serious has used that system since
what, the fifties?

When it comes to typical size parts who really cares if the unit of
measure divides evenly into miles or leagues or rods or whatever. I
suppose as an exercise in metrification one could dimension his parts in
kilometers just to show how cool powers of ten work...

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.