Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

Jon Elson wrote:
dav1936531 wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 01:33:57 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

I still have to get the hang of aluminum, but I have actually made a
couple servicable, but truly UGLY welds! I need to keep trying.
Jon

The aluminum base metal must be pefectly cleaned and degreased before
welding, otherwise you will get a mess. Tricloroethylene (sp?) is the
best solvent for cleaning it before welding, but this is pretty nasty
stuff. Avoid skin contact and breathing it.

I've used a new stainless steel wire brush, and it helps a lot. i have
also trued cleaning with denatured alcohol, it didn't seem to help. I
will try acetone, but I think I will skip the Trichlor! I also have to
make up some copper clamp plates to keep the aluminum from sagging.

Try hot water, 409 and a 3m abrasive pad.
The water should be hot enough that the
part air-drys when you remove it from
the water and shake it. It's always a
plus when your cleaner can go down the
drain.

Come to think of it, 409 is such a nasty
witch's brew, I surprised you can put it
down the drain....