Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:58:11 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I bought some good body tools from Sears back in '65, when they made very
good hand tools. They were all forged and the hammer faces were hard in the
middle, softer on the rims, like good hammers are supposed to be. The
dollies were forged, too, and good steel. They cost me a bundle.

Then I bought some cheap Asian tools to fill in my set, and they were (no
kidding) cast iron. One of the hammers broke the whole face off.

So there's a wide range of quality, and quality body tools cost a lot more
than you would think they should.

Loike the old saying oes : "If you want first quality oats you need to
be ready to pay first quality price. Now if you are willing to settle
for oats thats already been through the horse? Well, yes, they do come
a little cheeper!!"