Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Bridgeport and location of VFD

In article , Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

Keep it out of the path of chips if it has vent holes. Distance in a
typical garage should not be that much of an issue but closer is generally
better.

Yes, close and high. It's amazing how far a mill can throw chips.

I have my VFD on an aluminum plate screwed to the wall next to and
behind the mill, with a control pendant from the VFD to a table next to
the mill. The aluminum plate is required by the VFD maker, and is a
good idea.

The VFD is 5.5 feet from the floor, and the main power switch is 6 feet
from the floor. The power switch is high to keep it out of reach of
stray children.

If the wires from VFD to mill are less than 10 or 20 feet long, no
problem is likely.

Joe Gwinn