Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default U - values

Keith Dunbar wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 14 Sep, 06:15, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:
Further to previous posts about calculating radiator sizes, my 17th
century
timberframed house has been renovated as far as I can tell by replacing
all
the old wall materials with rendered breeze blocks. The walls seem to
vary
in width in different places, but the minimum seems to be 9 inches,
presumably solid breeze block. My attempts to google for a u value
haven't
been very successful. Can anyone suggest a reasonable u value for this
wall
construction that I can use in my calculations?

TIA

Keith

My guess is between 2 and 3
Chris
I would unhesitatingly line it intermally if possible
Let me know if you want a spec for this as I am doing this myself and
have developed quite a good system even tho i say it myself!
chris

There are loads of beams visible inside, so lining isn't really an option
without losing a lot of the character of the place. But thanks anyway for
the offer.

Even a thin layer of something insulating makes a considerable
difference in a solid brick wall.

Do no ignore the pssibility of external insulation, either.. If its
rendered outside, that is a distinct possibiliy.

Keith