Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

Jim Stewart wrote:
Very, very nice. It's like oxy/ace with a wah-wah pedal.

I can see it's going to take some practice to get
good at it.

I was capable of doing small projects with an AC stick welder,
but hated the smoke and all the spatter, and it was hard to
start the arc and control it.

I got a Lincoln Square-Wave TIG 300, which is a pretty fantastic
machine, and was doing assorted steel projects in a couple of
days, and finding it MUCH easier than horrible stick. I can
weld indoors, get up close to the work and see what I'm doing,
without the smoke getting in the way. (The stick flux really
messed up my sinuses, which was a major problem.)

I did a little project with some 1/4" copper parts, and the only
interesting thing was it took a while to pre-heat, and then you
had to weld fast to keep the whole piece from melting. But, for
the first time EVER I welded copper, I got a really nice bead!

I still have to get the hang of aluminum, but I have actually
made a couple servicable, but truly UGLY welds! I need to keep
trying.

Jon