Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson Clark Magnuson is offline

Default Got my tig welder working

Jim Stewart wrote:
Very, very nice. It's like oxy/ace with a wah-wah pedal.

I can see it's going to take some practice to get
good at it.

I got one 7 days ago.
I got nowhere.
Today I got a lesson.
What I learned:
1) Put the big piece on top, and melt the bigger piece down onto the
small piece.
2) Don't move until a puddle forms on both pieces.
3) Move when a puddle forms on both pieces.
4) The length of filler rod that gets used up is almost equal to the
length of the joint.
5) Even with only two 1/8" thick pieces being joined, get it up to 185 Amps.
6) Wrap the hose around my neck so it doesn't get hung up on the bench.
7) Get the pedal under my right foot, which is more sensitive from gas
pedals.
8) If the electrode is to be ground, grind until the bulge is gone.
9) Start the arc further out, but get the arc down to 1/8"
10) Wear my reading glasses under the hood when welding.