Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Demolition Cleanup Details

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
news:ahVEi.799$Af1.641@trnddc06...
MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a dumb question.

I hired someone to do some major demolition involving pulling out
sheetrock, wood paneling, removal of mirrors, tiles etc...

I specified in the contract that everything needs to be "bloomed clean"
and "disposed", and for the most part it is, and I don't have a problem
with that.

However, whenever 2x4s are pulled out from the wall, or sheet rock pulled
down from the ceiling or wall, or wood paneling removed from concrete
block walls, there are tons of staples, nails, screws still on the
furring strip, or studs or concrete walls. They cannot stay there if I
hire someone to hang new sheetrock they will have to get them out or cut
them off. I would assume they should have been removed as part of
demolition, right? It is not explicitely stated in the contract but I
wonder if this is typical or usual customary.

I am talking about over 1000 SF of ceiling with these every 8 inches or
so, and many wall surfaces. Who is responsible to take them out? Should
this be included as part of demo? I would think so but I thought I asked
before I complain about it.

Thanks,

MC

I am a general contractor and here is my answer. I have had both
scenarios and there is no definitive standard. I have had a lot of demo
done by others and generally, if the demo subcontractor deals with the
nails/screws, they do not remove them. They drive them in or bend them
over. They do not do a real good job of this, so I always assume that I
will be doing some prep work for drywall.

I do not allow them to leave the drywall remnants on the screws as the OP
has in his situation. In the process of removing these bits, the demo
guys will usually break off screws and bend over nails.

Sometimes I do not want the nails and/or screws left in, and in those
situations, I put a guy or two with the demo crew to oversee and help with
REMOVAL of said fasteners.

Every situation is different, but in general, I expect the demo guys to do
a rough clean of the studs. I always expect to do SOME prep work to get
ready for wall coverings.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Thanks for the advise. I talked to the demo guy and he felt it should not
be part of the demo project but should be done by the drywall guys. He
thinks for him to pound in or remove every staple or nail will take
"forever". So I have to do it myself or hire the drywall prep guy to do it.
A lesson learned definitely. Next time my contract will be detailed to the
Nth degree.

MC