Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Lawn Mower Compression & Dislocated Shoulders

On 15 Sep, 14:05, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 15, 11:32 am, "Bob F" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

groups.com...

I've got a Toro mower (Model 20016) with a 4 cycle Tecumseh engine
that is trying to hurt me.

When I try to start it, the start cable will pull out about half-way,
under normal starting tension, and then it feels like the compression
of the engine trys to yank it back in. It will violently pull my arm
back towards the mower.

When it eventually does start, there are 3 - 4 loud knocks (*not*
backfires) and then the mower runs fairly normally. I say "fairly
normally" because it no longer runs as smooth and quiet as it used
too.

The mower is at least 4 years old. Should I be looking at the fall
sales flyers?

Either the blade is loose, or the flywheel key is sheared, causing the timing to
be off.

Bob

Blade is tight...one of the first things I checked.

Then, as the prvious poster indicated, the blade may have struck
something solid, stopping the engine shaft suddendly, and the inertial
energy in the flywheel made it want to keep turning so the flywheel key
sheared. Now the flywheel is a little "forward" of where it needs to be,
causing the spark to occur too soon.

Pull the engine cover and the flywheel and if you find the key fully or
partially sheared, replace it. The key itself costs next to nothing.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Thanks!

Will I be able to/have to move the flywheel back to where it should
be? Will it be obvious how to do that once I pull the cover?