Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Toller Toller is offline

Default Really 'OUTSIDE the BOX'

"Triker3" wrote in message
How about making your own plastic blanks.. All you need is some food
coloring, A LARGE supply of Styrofoam peanuts or other scrap Styrofoam and
a tiny bit of gasoline, When I say tiny I do mean tiny like 1 oz.

put gas in a can add Styrofoam a little bit at a time while stirring
constantly you will be amazed at how fast gas eats Styrofoam. Keep mixing
until you have about 1 qt of very stiff material roll out into oversize
pieces (sp) and let dry a few weeks. If you live in the warm south about
a month will do all depends on how stiff your mixture was to begin with.

It will cut like a medium hard wood, sands very easily and can give you
all types of weird color and swirls.

In rural S.A. they use the gas and Styrofoam as a caulking material on
thier little fishing boats, as they have the gas and the foam is washed up
on shore from wherever.

40 years ago I read you could make napalm out of gasoline and styrofoam. I
haven't any idea why I wanted to make napalm, but it didn't work anyhow; the
foam just floated in the gasoline.
Maybe it works better now that the lead is out of the gas. Or maybe the
foam I was using wasn't styrofoam.