Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIYSkills?

and, (top posting to annoy the easily bothered) - one of the new "tricks" is
to go and spend some $$ on another tool - a "reader" that will connect to
your car's computer - you can spend $15 to $150,000 on the tool - for most
of us a tool in the $100 to $600 range suffices, the low end doesn't do
enough and the high end is just too expensive - sounds kinda like lathes and
mills, doesn't it?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"lew hartswick" wrote in message

snip

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

It actually got worse before it got better. Now that they have computers
with diagnostics, it's at least possible to tell what's going on. I
thought the worst was in the late '70s and early '80s, when the carbs had
6 or more circuits and you could hardly follow the vacuum lines around for
all of the mechanical and electro-mechanical emission-control
doohickeys -- which seemed to get out of adjustment every other week.

You'd probably find that it's not as bad as it used to be, if you decided
to take it up again. You just have to learn some new tricks.

--
Ed Huntress