Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Voltage at light fitting when light switch off ?

eOn Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:21:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'm amazed you bought such an expensive tool without knowing what it does.

You shouldn't be :-). I recently watched an air conditioning
installer (clad in a boiler suit declaring under the company name
that he was an "Installation Engineer") prodding one probe of a very
expensive Fluke DMM at various contacts and saying that the reason
the device he had just fitted was not working was because the mains
was too weak (at 75VAC). When it was suggested that the second probe
belonged somewhere other than his pocket he declared he was "Part P
qualified" and knew what he was doing.

Pointing out that the destruction book said that the red wire should
go to connector A and he had connected it to connector D led to much
angst and a declaration that the instructions were not Part P and had
to be modified accordingly.

Further mentioning that Part P didn't apply to industrial
installations led to him stomping off saying he couldn't continue due
to elfandsafety. In this he was probably right as I suspect my blood
pressure was exceeding safe limits by this stage.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/