Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Electrical wiring questions

I would advise getting a book on electrical wiring and reading it before
going further or calling an electrician.

Was the outside light working before you replaced the switches?

Is the outside bulb a good bulb?

If there was a preexisting problem with the outside light, chances are the
problem is with a burnt out bulb, corroded contacts on the fixture, or
wiring problem behind fixture.

If the problem started after you replaced the switches, it is still possible
the bulb burnt out at the same time. Check/replace bulb. Did you reinstall
wires exactly as they were?

"Grimley" wrote in message
I'll try to be as thorough and descriptive of my problem..

I recently replaced a bunch of outlets and switches in a room. I have
two switches which I believe are at the end of the circuit.

One switch controls an outlet (Switch A) and one switch (Switch B)
controls an outdoor light. They are side by side in the same box.

The switch controlling the outlet works properly. The switch
controlling the outdoor light does not seem to.

I have been testing the wires and here are my results... Keep in mind
I know very little about wiring.

1) On both switches, Testing the "in" to the "out" in both the on and
off positions yields nothing.
2) On both switches (both on), testing Switch A in to Switch B in is
successful.
3) On both switches (both on), testing Switch A in to Switch B out is
successful.
4) On both switches (both on), testing Switch B in to Switch A out is
successful.
5) On both switches (both on), testing Switch B out to Switch A out is
successful.
6) If either of the switches is off, testing from either in to out or
out to out is not successful.

The question I have now, is there something I am missing? It would
seem to me that I have the sources coming into the switches correctly
and at least the the "out" wired properly on Switch A. Does this seem
like the appropriate wiring? I don't believe there are any other
variables here. If there are I haven't caught them yet.

Any guidance would be appreciated. If more information is needed I
can supply that too.

Thanks in advance.

Chad