Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House upgrades + property tax

On Sep 15, 7:59 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message

ps.com...

I'm planning to upgrade our house with the following:
- electric panel upgrade from 100 - 200 amps
- replace septic (not sure yet if we'll do it now but in the next 1-5
years)
- add storage shad

Does anyone know it these upgrades will increase my property tax as I
have to get permits from the town? I leave in NJ.

Also my neighbor offered me his nice above ground pool. Any idea how
will the pool affect my property taxes? Does it depend on pool size
and type (above/in ground) ?

I'm in New Jersey as well. Given the financial condition of the state I
wouldn't be surprised if you were received tax increases for all of your
permanent improvements. Usually a storage shed that is not built on a solid
foundation is not taxed and portable above ground pools are usually not
considered improvements. I think where they really zing it to you is when
you add square footage to the living space such as an addition or finished
basement.

I live in NJ too and I would say you will not receive any tax increase
for any of that work.

Electrical panel upgrade should be a non-issue. When they do re-
appraisals, AFAIK, the appraisers never look at the electrical panel
capacity. It's generally a very small factor in the overall property
valuation, not worth their time. I would suspect that the local tax
assesor would have the same position.

Replace the septic system is definitely a non-issue. You are not
adding anything, just replacing what is already there.

Shed is a non issue as long as it's not on a foundation and most are
used without a foundation.

Above ground pool is a non-issue for the same reason as the shed, ie
it's not a permanent attached part of the property. An inground pool
would increase your assessment.

You can call up the assessor's office and ask all of the above if you
want to know for sure.