Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Bio-Fuels Bite the Dust

In article ,
wrote:

[snip]

--------

There is another point, the apparent mistrust of consumers for
"Gasohol", for want of a better word.

Some time in the 1990's I had some dealings with the Philippine
National Oil Company who were, at the time, pushing the use of
gasoline/alcohol mixes as a solution of the Philippine's high fuel
costs. While there I met a gentleman who was the secretary of the
"Gasohol Committee" and discussed the program with him.

He stated that even though the Marcos government was cooperating by
restricting sale of gasoline on certain days to try and convert
consumers to the idea of using gasohol it was not a success and most
consumers just wouldn't use it although it was cheaper then gasoline.

The same thing seems to be happening here in Thailand with sale of
"gasohol" falling far below expected volumes, to the extent that one
of the big agricultural conglomerates has announced that they are
stopping the building of a second ethanol plant as the demand was not
high enough.

What are the claimed and/or actual reasons for the consumer resistance
to gasahol both in the Philippines and in Thailand? There has to be a
story here.

Joe Gwinn