Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default OT - Harbor Freight car battery testers

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:54:53 -0400, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:06 pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message

Right on, Jim. No one with a modicum of common sense ever needs a formal
battery tester. HF sells
them to the chumps, though.

Tell me how to test a battery out of a vehicle, or a battery with no vehicle
around! $10 or $25 does not seem like allot of cash to drop for one of these
testers. I have considered picking up one myself. Also consider if you have
a bunch of batteries around it may be worth having the tester to may your
life easier. We had one where I worked a few years back, but then we were
testing deep cycle batteries pretty often and it was near impossible to load
test them as they were not used in a machine where we could put a high load
on them. Between the load tester and a hydrometer we could get a pretty good
idea if a battery was good or not.
Greg

I repaired power wheelchairs for a while and used a hydrometer and
load tester to estimate battery condition, but I knew what to look
for. Cranking with the headlight on is a simple quick check of battery
and *wiring* condition that even people who can't read a voltmeter can
use. And I know a few mechanics who would try to measure Volts on an
Amps range.

Old, cynical electronics joke: DANGER! 1 MILLION OHMS!

jw

DANGER! 1 MILLI OHM

Do not touch! Surface temperature 300°K!

(yes, I know you're supposed to use the ° with Kelvins anymore)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany