Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default scrap prices

jdabreeze wrote:
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

I just came from the scrap yard and they were paying 6.5 cents per pound
for chips on a 4800 lb. load. I could have probably swapped them even
for some other metal that they had lying around. On good straight
beams, rounds and structural steel, its going for about 35 cents/lb
around here( North East PA). You can buy new steel for what they are
charging you. MSC doesn't even charge that much. A steel supply company
would probaly sell you drops or cutoffs for less than what you paid.

I don't know what you are looking for but we use a lot of 4140 and A36
and get a lot of one to four inch drops that go to the scrap yard. Id
rather see them go to someone that can use them.

John