Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Fans in Series

William Noble wrote:
it might work, but little 110 to 220 transformers are really cheap ( a few
dollars each), why not just add a transformer - if this is in the USA, just
pull a neutral to the lathe and you have 110 as well as 220. But I think I
can assure you the VFD won't need extra cooling - if you meant extra cooling
for the motor, I think you will find that 220VAC muffin fans are much
cheaper at surplus stores than 110 ones.

Good idea about the surplus store. The two stacked fans was one of those
ideas one briefly considers while deciding how to do something, I was
just wondering how it would work.

I'm pretty sure the 220 volt fan is how it will go, and it is for motor
cooling, the VFD should be fine on it's own. 120 volts would require a
neutral, as you point out, and that would require allot of work, machine
and circuit is 220 three phase.

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.