Posted to uk.d-i-y
marting marting is offline

Default Low energy lamps with dimmer

wrote:
Thus spake marting ) unto the assembled multitudes:
I bought a couple of 12V led's to replace some 20W halogens. 6 months
later half the led's have gone and one flickered so badly I had to take
it out, making any money savings on energy use a moot point.

I'm generally in favour of energy-saving lighting but I've had trouble
and failures with GU10 replacements, both CFL and LED, that i don't get
with the standard 12W "replace your 60w bulb with this" CFL's.

Agreed - I have had several GU10 CFLs fail fairly quickly. One failed
within 3 days, but at least I got a free replacement. I have two 240V
GU10 LED lamps on the go, sharing with two CFLs in a four-lamp wall-mounted
fitting (though it was sold as a ceiling unit). Taking bets now as to
which lamp fails first :-)

ho-hum another 9w GU10 CFL bites the dust. I'm going to try a couple of
5W cold cathodes and see how they go... if they bite the dust I'm
waiting 5 years for the technology to improve :-(