Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,alt.building.construction
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Quietest inline fan for range hood exhaust

Lacustral wrote:
I'm planning to use an inline fan for a range hood - I'm going to
have the canopy made by a metal fabricator. I'm putting the fan in
the attic.
I'm looking for something

- about 300 CFM max
- can be speed controlled about all the way to 0.
- doesn't make a hum or whatever when speed controlled.
- Absolutely as quiet as possible.

I've heard that if you compare a small fan with a large fan that's
turned
down with a speed control to move the same CFM as the small fan,
the large
fan will be quieter.

Somebody at Fantech told me this wasn't true, that the noise just
depends
on the CFM the fan is moving. I don't believe this (she said other
very dubious things), because I've heard elsewhere that a larger
fan will be moving with a lower RPM when it's moving the same
amount of air, so it would be quieter.

So, I figure I'd get about a 300 CFM fan and turn it down with a
speed control. My range is very small and it doesn't need a big
fan.

Some fans make a low-voltage hum when you use a speed control on
them.
Fantech said their fans do. Someone at Broan told me their inline
duct
fan doesn't have a low-voltage hum when speed controlled. I don't
know how big of a deal the low-voltage hum is, compared to the
noise from the fan
motor.

What inline fans are quietest? They don't have a standard way of
testing
the noise from them, unfortunately.

I know stuff about reducing the noise that's moving through the
duct -
duct silencer, liquid soundproofing you can spray inside the duct.
Etc.
etc. My question though is about the quietest *fan*.

I have no idea which is quietest; however...

1. I have a Broan. Don't recall the CFM but it is maybe 10-12". No
speed control

2. It is about 25' from cooktop

3. The only way we can tell it is running is by looking at the
switch...I used a switch that lights an LED when the switch is on.

Be sure your hood fabricator includes a grease trap - that's just
coarse wire mesh - that is easily removed for cleaning.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...