Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Sep 14, 4:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
Couldn't find a racoon so I skinned a porcupine, then a skunk. Neither
one worked out very well...

Ouch! I'll bet the porky made a very uncomfortable hat.

But here's something that surprised me -- and I'm completely serious about
this -- that _BL_ article mentioned that skunks make very nice caps. I don't
recall what they said about the smell, but, IIRC, a good shot with a .22 to
the head was supposed to kill them before they spray. Getting the gland out
of them is another matter.

Ed Huntress

Like most new TV shows that teaser is the only interesting part of the
story.

I managed to skin them without getting stuck or stunk but at that time
I didn't know how to preserve them, and while I was waiting for "Tan
Your Hide" to arrive and they were hung up high on stretching frames
the crows took them.

jw