Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:28:32 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
How many of your family memeber under the age of 60 know how to change a
tire? If you call AAA here in ski season you might wait 5 hours.
Mechanical skills are usually inherited from someone who teaches, not
self-taught. We are the ones who can do that. I have left a long chain of
people in my trade with more than they came in with, as it is my turn.

Cell phones help in that regard. I got a call from my son's girlfriend two
weeks ago (her dad, a retired state police officer, wasn't reachable). She
was in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia with a flat tire and two
passengers, God knows how far from the nearest garage. I told them how to
set up the jack, how to loosen the lug nuts and the whole works over the
phone.

Amazingly, it worked. And now three more people know how to change a tire.
d8-)

Every woman in my family, and every woman Ive ever dated, was taught
how to change a tire.
(and shoot a handgun)

Gunner