Posted to misc.consumers.house
Andrew Duane Andrew Duane is offline

Default New asphalt driveway

On Sep 14, 1:13 pm, Lonnie wrote:
I just purchased a house with a crumbling asphalt driveway. I know it
will need to (or should) be replaced in the next few years. A
contractor is doing a large paving job in the neighborhood. A
representative just showed up at the door and offered to put a two
inch layer on top for $1.10 a square foot (probably about $2200,
total. Is this a good deal? I really don't know anything about these
driveways, what should I be looking for?

Thanks.

The old "we're going to be in the neighborhood" is the classic paving
company scam. I would walk away from them immediately.

That said, you need to invite 2 or 3 companies out to look at the
driveway and see what it needs. The company who stopped by is offering
something called "hot topping" a driveway, which is a cosmetic patch
that may well work for a couple of years if the structure of the
driveway is completely sound. But I bet it isn't. It is more likely
everything needs to be removed, the gravel base inspected and maybe
redone, then 2 coats of 2" asphalt put down. In other words, a whole
new driveway. Expect it to cost significantly more than $1/sqft. More
like $3-5.

Driveways rarely crumble for no reason. It is likely there are
structural and/or drainage problems underneath that need to be found
and addressed.