Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Equipment, and the Useless Eco- legislation ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

I have just had a Denon AVR1800 AV amp come across my bench. It is a
reasonably sophisticated model with six channels and Dolby Digital and
DTS
modes, optical inputs and so on. It has an open circuit power transformer
primary. Enquires to the Denon spares agent came back with the surprising
news that it is "no longer available".

Now this is not what I expect from a company like Denon, given that
according to the date codes on all the components, it was only
manufactured
in 1999. So what are governments doing, by forcing all of this lead-free
crap on us in the name of eco-friendliness, and squealing about
householders
and their lack of recycling responsibility, and then allowing major
Japanese
manufacturers to get away with stuff like this ?

Why do you think the problem here is related to daft eco-legislation ?

Graham

You are missing the point Graham. The problem itself is not due to the eco
legislation, but a solution to a lot of electronic equipment going to
landfill, or even recycling, *could* be. The point that I was making was
that governments have all jumped on the eco-hysteria-save-the-planet
bandwagon by legislating in a draconian way on issues that were not much of
a problem in the first place, for example lead in solder. Whilst they are
doing this - and causing endless further problems for manufacturers and
service organisations alike, to say nothing of screwing with the established
energy budgets to make and service the stuff, and buggering long established
reliability figures for particular technologies - they are totally ignoring
the thousands of tons of equipment that are being written off and going to
landfill daily, because manufacturers either won't supply parts to repair
that equipment, or make the parts so expensive that the item becomes not
*worth* repairing. How easy would it be to legislate on this simple
'solution', and make the manufacturers hold the spares for a particular
length of time, and make them sell them to repair organisations for a
sensible price that reflects what it has cost them to buy and store them? I
write off a couple of DVD players a week, because the manufacturers want
more for the laser as a spare part, than the item cost in the first place,
or that they just won't supply it as a part. Even if you take into account
that electronic equipment going to landfill is on the decline due to
recycling initiatives for end-of-life products being put formerly into place
(the WEEE Directive), it would still be better, energy budget-wise, to
repair rather than recycle.

So that's the point I was making - that I thought it was well 'off', that a
'reputable' major manufacturer like Denon, could no longer supply a vital
part such as the mains tranny for an otherwise perfectly servicable item
that was only a few years old. Thus, the item was going to become just so
much more landfill, or have to be recycled, when governments could quite
easily address this 'real' problem, that we all know exists but they seem
not to, and knock it on the head.

See what I'm saying now ?

Does that transformer have an internal thermal fuse? I have dug out
and replaced a lot of them over the last 20 years on all kinds of
electronics.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell