Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT?? Wood chips for the smokebox (BBQ)

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have bought/made/salvaged all kinds of wood chips for my BBQ.
Hickory and sugar maple are my ol' faithfulls, but apple and alder
work nice too.
Now, a lady friend of mine (out West) swears up and down that oak
works really well.
I can't imagine. Oak? That sour smelling stuff?
Don't like cherry. Tried it...not good. (I love the wood itself, and
always have lots of cherry shavings and chips...too bad.)

What else should I try?

I use a lot of oak as it is plentiful here. Works well with beef.

When I use cherry, it is usually mixed. Come to think of it, most every
batch of meat I've smoked this year was a grab of what was in the scrap
bucket or tree trimmings, or both.

I like walnut, but it can be strong.
--
Ed