Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:02:44 -0400, "ATP*"
wrote:

It's also hard to imagine 99% of the population actually carrying out the
majority of projects in PM at any time in contemporary history, so I would
take those books with a grain of salt. I still remember the 1960's PM
project to make a flying car out of a Corvair in your backyard.

My favorite was the article on how to build your own airliner, legal
for passenger service in a few South American countries, using
discarded Electroluxes as turbine engines. On second thought, maybe
that was in Mad Magazine's "Popular Scientific Mechanics" parody...

On a more serious note, I think in many cases the obstacle to doing
things is not a lack of skills, but ignorance of the fact that a given
task is possible with relatively modest and easy to acquire skills.

--
Ned Simmons