Michael Bruss

Default shop generator exhaust

Got a new 7500 W generator for the shop and want to put it inside the shop.
It's in a frame with wheels on it. Trying to decide best way to vent the
exhaust. Exhaust pipe connects to the engine with a typical diamond-shaped
flange with two bolt holes in "wings" of the flange. Pipe runs about 4
inches into a large box-shaped muffler. Exhaust leaves the muffler through
a hole (about 2 inches diameter) on one side. Shop is wood frame with T1-11
wood siding.

First thought about cutting the exhaust pipe, attaching flexible SS exhaust
piping which would run up the inside wall and exit the wall fairly high.
Would have to have stand-offs on the wall and an insulated exit port through
the wall. Would probably need to put automotive type muffler in series too.

But, would like to be able to move the generator for servicing and field
work. So, another idea is to have a short spring-loaded and/or padded
exhaust pipe that goes straight through the wall at the height of the
muffler exit on the generator. Then I could wheel the generator up to the
exhuast pipe, push it toward the wall so the muffler exit is snug against
the exhaust pipe, and fire her up. What's the best way to get a good seal
between the exhaust pipe and the muffler or is it just a bad idea try to get
a seal that would be based solely on pressure? I would mount a CO detector
above the generator just in case.

Any ideas?

Mike