pyotr filipivich

Default Building full-auto weapon

Skipping school, I decide to respond to what Gunner
fosted Wed, 05 May 2004 15:15:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:
On Tue, 4 May 2004 11:59:23 -0700, "frank" wrote:

The 9th Circuit recently went over this one. A google search will
provide lots of details and discussions. Look for "ninth circuit machine
gun".

In U.S. v. Stewart, the circuit ruled that Congress has no power under the
Commerce Clause to ban home-made machine guns.

So at least in a few western states you can make whatever machine guns you
want!
My expectation is you will run into MANY practical difficulties. Your best
bet
would be to do the work inside the courthouse.

Thats the case I was thinking off, but didnt have time to dig it up..
Its an interesting case with some wide reaching ramifications.
Everyone is walking around this one like its a live bomb.

If memory serves, you can only make a machine gun at home if you are not
likely to purchase one; you are not interfering with interstate commerce.
Thus, the only people who are "free" to make a Home Machine Gun are those
barred by law from purchasing one. Which makes a certain kind of sense,
considering that this is also the court (i believe) which ruled, quite rightly
in my opinion, that felons are not required to register any firearms due tot he
Federal Constitutional protection against self-incrimination.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich.