Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Douglas Fir Question

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
The site at this link http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html
says:

"The WoodSampler is an online directory exhibiting some of the World's
most popular woods."

Is Douglas Fir not a "popular wood". It's not on the list.

I only ask because fir is on my mind at this time. I have to replace
the trim around a window that I believe is fir, so I'm just curious as
to why it isn't listed at that site.

Douglas Fir is a "softwood" so you don't always see it listed on woodworking
sites which generally tend toward hardwood species, particularly with regard
to domestic hardwoods. That said, it does not appear that all of the woods
listed on that site would be classified as "hardwoods".

"Vertical grain" Douglas Fir will command a premium price, finishes nicely,
and is an easy wood to work. It is great for shop/utility cabinets and I've
seen some furniture made from it that was impressive.

Western Red Cedar is an excellent alternative for your window trim, paints
nicely and will probably outlast the fir in most exterior applications. IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07