Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Starrett and Global Series

In article , "Tony" wrote:
You only pay capital gains tax when you sell an asset that has been
depreciated.

APpreciated...

I don't see how that applies to any manufacturer unless they
are selling their factory or property. You pay Corporate income tax on
profits the corporation makes, where the profit is from a manufacturer or
imported-distributor.

It's still a cost of doing business.

I don't see environmetal regs significantly affecting
a company like Starrett, other than the cost to properly dispose of solvents
and waste oils.

Oh, no? You don't think it drives up the cost of the steel they use? Or the
cost of the machinery and tooling they buy? What about the cost of building a
factory? You think environmental regulations don't affect that?

Starrett does have to pay much higher wages and benefits for very skilled
labor, but that is a difference of living standards between the west and
China. Is that the government's fault?

Did I say it was? No. *You* brought that up. I didn't say anything at all
about wages and benefits.

And I notice you didn't address the issue of OSHA and the other regulatory
bureaucracies which encumber business throughout the U.S.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "Tony"
wrote:

I don't see what the US government has to do with it.

Environmental regulation.

Corporate income tax.

Capital gains tax.

Occupational safety and health regulations.

And an ocean of other bureaucratic impediments, all of which drive up the cost
of doing business, and nearly all of which are much reduced or absent
altogether in third-world countries.

--
Regards,